Okay, so I've finally got the onboard flash chip detected on this thing. It took a few things to get this working:
- I had to apply this patch to the MTD code, which apparently never made it to their main tree.
- I had to twiddle the GPIO on this chip just so, which I figured out by disassembling the stock bootloader that comes with this thing.
- I had to take out a bit of code that I'd put in 'cos I thought I was smarter than the kernel folks. That took a while to recognize.
Still can't actually erase the flash, even with the GPIO twiddle, without causing a kernel panic. And the code that does ttwiddle itself is ugly, and pretty much stuck in a random place. But progress!