Burnaby Harvest Ale
The hop harvest for 2013 was not huge -- lots of mold this year, probably because we left things too long. Still, we had enough to hop this...
Batch size: 5 gallons
- 6 lb pale malt
- 1 lb wheat
- 3 lb Gambrinus ESB
- 0.5 lb Crystal 120
- 1 oz Magnum (14.1%) @ 50 mins
- A bunch of homegrown hops (Cascade + Willamette) at 60 (4 oz?)
- A bunch more at 30 mins
- A bunch more at 5 mins
...seriously, it was just a big hop soup at the end. I did not keep track.
Yeast: WLP 001 (Cal Ale)
October 6, 2013: Off to a late start -- heating water for mashing at 6am, mash at 7am, boil at 8.15am...man, I'm a slacker. Target gravity was 1.054, and I hit 1.051 into the carboy -- but that was only by squeezing the grains a lot. Next time I need to adjust my calculations / throw in an extra pound.
As mentioned, this was a big ol' hop soup. Final yield was about 5 gallons. Hydro sample was hoppy, but not as hoppy as you'd expect given how much went in.
October 14, 2013: FG 1.013, so I'm going to call this 4.9% ABV. Eli helped me wash bottles, but wasn't willing to stick around to help with the rest. His loss...this is AWESOME right now. There is a metric crapton of hop flavour in here, and a touch of sweetness that I thought was the dextrose but can't be, 'cos I took the hydro sample before it was added. I am really, really looking forward to this.